How to Appeal Medicare Part B and Part D Surcharges

June 24, 2021

Medicare Part B and Part D surcharges can be appealed if you meet one of seven qualifying life events: marriage, death of a spouse, divorce or annulment, reduced work hours or retirement, loss of income-producing property, the loss or reduction of certain types of pension income, or an employer settlement payment due to their bankruptcy or reorganization. The appeal of these surcharges can reduce monthly premium costs by hundreds of dollars. To ask for a redetermination, submit Form SSA-44 and supporting documents to the Social Security Administration.

At Brandywine Oak, we look holistically at our clients’ finances to find ways to maximize their funds and limit their expenses. To learn more about this topic, please read Kiplinger’s